Curtains 101, everything you need to know about curtains in CamberwellApril 28, 2017
Have you been thinking about getting new curtains? Well, you’ve come to the right place! Curtains and tracks are highly customisable these days. Not only can we make curtains and tracks exactly to your measurements, you can design your curtains and tracks to fit your style and needs.
When you’re considering what kind of curtains and tracks are right for you, try to break it down by thinking about what your curtains will be needed for. For example, do you want your curtains to completely darken the room? Or do you need street privacy? Once you’ve got a general idea of what you need from your curtains, consider these two questions to help narrow down your options:
1. What kind of fabric will your curtains be made out of? There are three types of curtain fabrics to choose from:
- the first is sheer fabric. Sheer curtains are made from fabric that allow light to seep in through the weave in the material. Although they feel delicate they are typically durable, and have a nice flowing look. Sheer fabrics do not darken the room, but they do offer street privacy while still letting in light.
- the second is blockout fabric. Blockout curtains are the super solution for most Australian homes that need protection from the sun. Any fabric except a sheer can be lined with a blockout material, making the options limitless. Blockout curtains not only darken the room when shut, but they can also make your curtains last longer by protecting the fabric from the sun. Blockout curtains can potentially provide some insulation to the room as well.
- the third style of curtain fabric is a plain unlined fabric. Similar to a sheer, unlined curtains do not block the sun well, and are generally used as a decorative window covering and to provide some privacy.
Now that you’ve had a look at the fabric options, you now need to think about:
2. What kind of track will your curtains hang from? Again, there are three different options for curtain tracks and rods:
- A basic track. These tracks are great because they are so simple. They can be attached from the ceiling (top fix) or from the window frame (face fix) to suit different styles of windows.
- double track. Double tracks are ah-ma-zing. Why? Because you can have the best of both worlds! You can hang a sheer with a blockout behind it, and have one open at a time if you wish. Double tracks give you the most amount of flexibility.
double curtain track
- decorator rod. These rods can be absolutely stunning; there are many options for the decorative end pieces which are called finials. With special rings, most styles of curtains can hang off these rods.
If you’re unsure what style of fabric or track would suit your needs or home the best, feel free to give us a call or come into our showroom and ask one of our knowledgeable staff for help and advice. If you’re ready to move forward and get your curtains made up, give us a ring and well send someone out to your home for a free measure and quote!